When Experience On Tap was founded in February 2005 I recognised that SMEs were full of hardworking, highly motivated people with great technical skills. What they often lacked however were management skills and experience. My vision was, and still is, for Experience On Tap to work with those business owners and managers to improve, enhance and support their endeavours by sharing our experience. Since that time we have had the privilege to work in a diverse range of companies and industries throughout the greater Auckland area. Recognising that each person has different expertise, circumstances, abilities, and energy levels is crucial to the success of what we do for our clients. It is not a one size fits all approach. We devise a plan appropriate to you at this time.
Our purpose is to release the potential of small and medium businesses.
Our Core Values
We will be realistic, honest and trustworthy in all our dealings with you.
We will treat you with respect and will have the courage to tell you what you need to know.
At all times we will apply high moral principles in our dealings with you.
Our approach will depend on your needs so our response is appropriate to meet your circumstances. We encourage adaptability and versatility.
We are motivated to look for opportunities to create and add value for our customers.
A Guiding Principle
At its core business is all about people. We may have a great product or service but if it doesn’t meet the needs (or wants) of its target market it won't be a success. If we don’'t get the right people on the team and look after them we won't succeed long term. If our relationships with our suppliers are shaky we have problems. All of our stakeholders matter.
I provided software solutions and advice to a large number of NZ companies over a 20 year period. The organisations were mainly manufacturing and distribution companies throughout the North and South islands and included some in Australia. As a consequence I experienced a wide range of industries, products, management styles, issues and opportunities.As country manager I was involved in management meetings throughout the Asia Pacific region and worked with other subsidiaries and associates in the region on training assignments.
I spent 13 years working in a variety of management positions, mostly IT and Office Services related, for Ford Motor Company. My responsibilities included the provision and operation of computer operations for the Auckland and Hutt Valley sites, all office services (telephones, postal and reprographics). In my last position I was responsible for the sourcing, development, sale, implementation and support of software to the dealers throughout New Zealand.
The early portion of my career was at Griffins where my first management role was in charge of the administration of a large distribution centre covering the bottom half of the North Island. The sales force operated largely on a fortnightly cycle with deliveries by the companies' trucks within two days. All stock was received by rail directly into the warehouse. Later I was responsible for a multi shift computer department servicing the company’s national operations.
Involvement in our community has always been important. Jeannette and I have been members of Our Lady Star of the Sea parish since 1978 and have worked for the development of better relationships through engaged and married couples.
Rotary has been a means to give something back to the community both locally and internationally through the many projects and causes supported by Rotary International. I have been a strong advocate of RYLA www.ryla.co.nz which provides leadership development for 20-28 year olds.
I have had a variety of other roles over the years including 5 years on the management advisory board of Mercy Hospital, as well as Howick Neighbourhood Watch, church, school and sports clubs. And I spent 5 years in the Territorial Army from 1967-72.
Paul specialises in working with small to medium size business from the start up phase through to the development, and if required assistance with, the implementation of major projects in mature companies.
Paul’s skill set is based around a background in Marketing and Engineering with particular emphasis on the development of management personal.
Key competences include;
- Developing Marketing Strategies - Research, Planning, Targeting Promotion, Advertising, Pricing, Branding, Negotiating agency agreements ( purchase or supply) both local & international
- Business Planning - New business start-up, Strategic planning, Mission statements, Goal setting, Action plans, Budgeting, Forecasting, Swot analysis, Benchmarking, Growth Strategies.
- People management - HR planning, Identification and development for leadership. Recruitment, Motivation, Time management, Administration streamlining, Performance appraisals, Incentive program development, Work-life balance, Planning for retirement.
Career highlights have included.
- The management of a small engineering company
- Sales and sales management of materials handling products for a national company
- Marketing management of an industrial product group for a national company.
- The development of the largest forklift rental company in New Zealand
- Company expansion through acquisition of competitors
- 17 years as Chief executive of the national company AB Equipment Ltd incorporating Forklift Rental Systems Ltd.
- The development of a successful Photography Company (new company) operated for 7 years before being sold.
Greg has been described as a pioneer in the franchise sector and it is a matter of pride that all business operations that he has set up throughout his career around New Zealand and Australia are still operating successfully today. For many years his passion has been building businesses from the ground up.
- Sound knowledge of franchising in New Zealand and Australia through the development of nine franchise brands including introducing three offshore brands into the New Zealand market
- Ability to work successfully as a member of a small team or a larger group to successfully complete projects
- Effective networker
- Performance management particularly in a franchise environment
- Business development and day to day support of multi-brand franchise group including training and coaching, marketing programs, KPIs, supplier management and franchise evaluation
- Redeveloping businesses for resale as franchises
- National franchise manager managing multiple brands
- Sales manager for franchising group in the home services sector where the number of franchises was increased by 50%